Thursday, August 13, 2020

Ulu

 

This is an Ulu. It is a very sharp knife, native to the Inuit of Alaska.
Meredith and David gave it to Dean for Christmas a number of  years ago 
when they spent the winter in Alaska for David's work. Dean likes it
and has used it often. For some reason I have just discovered it.



This is the Ulu at work. The blade rocks back and forth across what you are
cutting. It cuts simply and easily and with no effort. 



So far so good. Chicken chopped for chicken salad. So much easier than slicing
all those little pieces with a straight knife. Yes, there are some things a knife cuts
better. My chicken salad has celery and I cut the stalks long with a knife. Then I
chopped them fine with the Ulu. The Ulu can chop straight down as well as cut
with the rolling slice. 
I have to wonder why it took my family living in Alaska for a year for us to discover
this delightfully easy to use knife. Why don't all knife sets have an Ulu included? It
makes me smile when I use it and it certainly makes certain chopping easier. 




No comments:

Post a Comment