Monday, May 17, 2021

I'm Normal!

 At the opening of the musical The Fantastiks, The Girl has a lovely monologue that ends "Please, God, don't let me be normal". Often I have quoted that to myself until this morning when I was so grateful to discover I'm very normal. 

I was listening to a discussion about the new CDC guidelines for fully vaccinated people being able to go without masks in most situations and the opening of restaurants, churches, schools, society in general. I have said over the last several weeks, "I found it easier to shut down than I am finding it to open up again". An epidemiologist asked her blog listenings how they were feeling about getting back to pre-pandemic life and 79% of them said they were anxious. Thank You!! 

One woman even said she had been looking forward to going out, setting up play dates for her children, and now that she could, she wasn't sure she really wanted to. Last week friends were in town and asked to meet us for lunch. Whoa! I wasn't sure about that at all. We went. We ate outside. Everyone around us arrived masked until our food arrived. I made it through that first baby step. 

The doctors in this discussion all said we had to listen to our own emotional well-being and so I felt fine about what I was doing which is exactly that. Normal for me means listening to my body and not feeling pushed to do or be something I am uncomfortable doing. Please, God, let me be normal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment