Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Advent Intent

Packed away in a pod somewhere is my Advent wreathe. Years and years old, it is a wreathe into which I have put the four candles of Advent. In the center is the Baby who I switch out on Christmas day for a large white candle to celebrate the coming of the Light into the world. All of it tucked away in a pod somewhere awaiting our first Christmas in our new home which hasn't happened yet. This year we are out of our Tahoe home and in a lovely little leased house in Jacksonville, Oregon, using someone else's furniture and dishes. So what to do about an Advent wreathe?

Well, I do believe that intention tops ritual and so I improvised. I wanted to do something for Christmas decorations so I bought a garland like one I had bought last year. We stretched it out across a cadenza in the living room. I borrowed 6 lovely red balls from the folks who own the house. I had brought some battery powered tea lights so I put 4 of them close together in front of the garland. When we find the AA batteries we brought with us, we will be able to light the garland's lights. 

Meanwhile, the tea lights will be lit every Sunday between now and Christmas in anticipation of the coming of the Light into the world.

What happens in my heart and mind during this time has very little if anything to do with the accompanying decorations. And yet, it is nice to have some decoration to focus my attention on the important things of the season. Advent blessings, dear friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment