Saturday, September 30, 2023

Almost Done Again!

Well, here we are almost 6 months later and our house in Tahoe has not sold and it is time to make another decision. After long hours of conversation with Rob, Dean's son, we  have come to a decision: I am going to move into an assisted living apartment just 5 minutes from Michelle. Dean is buying an Airstream to travel, go fishing, and come see me. 

Our "stuff" is finally out of pods and into storage where I will sort and mark for moving to Oregon, staying here, or being donated or tossed. We only thought we had down-sized before. Now we are doing it for real. My little one bedroom apartment has plenty of wall space for shelves to hold some precious items and to hang family pictures and art. Family members are getting pictures of items to help them decide if they want the items or not. We are fortunate to know someone whose business is putting items on eBay. 

Storage area where I will start sorting sometime within the week. 
We still have Lots of stuff. I am both dreading and looking forward to sorting. It is amazing to me how easy it is to make a decision when push comes to shove. In the previous blog I said how I was done and ready to move on. Well, here I am doing it again and this time I am ready to sort and get ready to be in Oregon in my new little apartment no later than November 15th. I have also learned not to live in expectation of a certain date and for now, I am holding out for the 15th. 

I guess I should say that it is not unusual for couples in their 80s to move into assisted living. We just happen to be doing it separately. This is best for both of us right now. Dean will absolutely Not move into assisted living. I am looking forward to being fed three meals a day without having to lift a finger except to point to the desired item on the menu. (yes, I will have a choice)

This saga continues and I will post more pictures and let you know how this journey plays out. It is rather fun to be looking forward in hope at age 80. Life moves on in interesting ways. 


1 comment:

  1. Susan, WOW! What a surprise, to read of your next life chapter! I'm glad to know what your plan is ... and send best wishes as you sort, divide, and decide what will make the journey with you to Oregon and your next home there. Know I'm thinking of you, sending encouragement, and delighting in memories of how grace-fully you've danced thru' so many life-change moments.
    May GRACE abound as you move ahead!

    ReplyDelete