Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Sometimes You Just Have to Laugh ~

~ and laugh we did in spite of it all. Dean had bought some new equipment for the old kayak and we went to the lake to try it out. New seats - really nice, comfortable seats. New paddles. And a leash for each paddle so that if you should drop your paddle, you wouldn’t lose it. 

Get to the lake and there are people. At a distance, some with masks, and we are going to set up, paddle for a while to test it all and leave so no problem. It takes some time to get set up but we are finally ready to go. 

Getting into the kayak has never been easy for me even when I’m wasn't old and achy. I made it though, settled in and was even aware of how nice the seat felt. Then Dean got in and the kayak wobbled but that was ok, it always does. And then it kept wobbling . . . and wobbling more . . . and over we went! Pretty amazing how soaked you can get in knee deep water when you are thrown in. Thank goodness we both came up laughing. We learned, you do Not have the leash for the paddle under your knees!! That’s what did it. Dean was trying to get the leash out from under his knees and it was just too much. 

I am grateful that 1) my hat didn’t float away, 2) my prescription sun glasses were on a string, 3) the man “next door” came over, in his mask, and asked if he could help - which he could because I was on my knees on the stony bottom and these days when I am on my knees, it is not good. With Dean pulling and the man lifting under my arms, I came up easily. We were profuse in our thanks. 

I had on my mask and had to pull it off very fast because suddenly I wasn’t breathing air through it but water. Phew. 

The worst part of the whole thing was as I began to walk back to the car the lake grit got on my tender toe under my Teva strap. Ouch. We came home and got in the hot tub and then showered ~ again for me. I’d already done that once this morning!! The knee I hurt when I took my living room face plant a month ago is hurt again from landing on the lake stones. Oh well. We should have had a movie. Plus my getting out of my clothes at home. They were clinging to me ~ especially the arm brace that I had pulled on this morning to help the pain in my arm. Sigh. No, you really don’t need a movie of that!!! 

Hey, we hadn’t had an adventure in a long time. I’m sure we have given the family settled on the beach a good laugh for their day and we now have at least one SiP story to tell!!

2 comments:

  1. Adventure indeed!!! The movie was entertaining. Hope you are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story presented enough detail for my own private movie! Glad beyond measure you were still on shore. Hope that knee feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete