Saturday, August 21, 2021

Air Quality Index

 I have become fascinated with the Air Quality Index

Early this morning it read 282 (Very Unhealthy). Now it is 315 (Hazardous). Without reading it, I know that my eyes are dry and itch, my sinuses are stopped up, and I have a smoky headache. And at the same time it is rather interesting to know what weather science says about all that. 

Yesterday was gorgeous! The sky was blue. I could breathe outside without a mask. At the Farmers' Market, strangers talked about the blue sky and the view across the lake. Dean and I ate lunch on the deck for the first time in a week. Before we did, I wiped the table which was black with soot from smoke. It was lovely. And then things began to change. 

We say the smoke will come or go depending on the wind shift. Well, yesterday afternoon there was no wind. The sky was blue ~ and then it was sort of grey-ish. And then a bit darker grey. The West Shore disappeared from view and the forest had pockets of grey between the trees. No wind blew. There was no creeping in like fog. It just ~ changed. The full moon rose like a blood orange with nothing else visible in the sky. And the Air Quality Index crept slowly upward. 

Even as I write this, I am so grateful that all we have is smoke. Blessings to all those who are in the fire's path. Please, hold thoughts of safety for all our fire fighters both in the air and on the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment