Saturday, August 21, 2021

Shopping Basket Art

 For years I have admired the woven shopping baskets for sale at the Farmers' Market and watched women carrying them as they gather their purchases. I always wanted one but thought that my tote bags and lately my grocery bags were sufficient and I didn't need to add to my collection. This week I decided I really did want one and they didn't cost that much and so I bought one. It is lovely

It is light weight and big enough to hold tomatoes, potatoes, grapes and spinach, strawberries and peaches and one very special cookie that I indulge in at the market. 

Now, here's the fun thing I didn't know. The company that makes them was started by a young Kenyan woman who came to this country to go to school bringing with her a suitcase of souvenirs to give to new friends. She soon realized that she just might be able to  sell such products, made by the women of her village, and help support the work of the women from home. And so she could. You can find these lovely baskets and other woven goods at https://www.gitzellimports.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment