Thursday, April 9, 2020

Church Changes

Years ago I was chairing the Worship Committee at my church in Virginia when a woman suggested a Maundy Thursday prayer vigil. She helped organize the first one - someone in the chancel praying every 30 minutes from 9 o'clock Maundy Thursday evening until 3 o'clock Good Friday afternoon. It became and has continued to this day to be one of the highlights of Holy Week for that congregation.

After I had been in California for a few years, I mentioned on Face Book to the pastor that I would be thinking about the church during those hours and he said, "why don't you choose a time and pray with us." So for a number of years now I have lit a candle, chosen some scriptures, a hymn or two, put on some meditative music, and prayed at 9 pm my time, 12 midnight east coast time, and participated in the prayer vigil.

This year, I am not the only one praying from home. The entire vigil is being held from home using resources and suggestions sent out by the church. The woman organizing it was a little afraid they would not get as many people doing it this way. She had a full roster within hours of her post. Not only is everyone praying from home, this year, I noticed several names besides mine who do not live in Lynchburg and would be unable to come to the church.

Several pastors I know have commented that they are having more people sign on to on line services than they normally have attend services in person. A former student spends 30 minutes on Sunday morning playing and singing gospel songs. Choirs are finding ways through Zoom or other sites to sing beautiful harmonies from their individual homes.

I still believe we need the community that church offers and I also believe that the way we do church is changing and going to change even when we can gather again in the same space. One thing this physical distancing has taught us is that the church is much more than a building. We are the church wherever and however we meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment