Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Tradition

No, this is not a musical parody on COVID-19. This is just a reflection on what I did this morning when I made my Aunt Lalah's banana bread ~ and have done every time I have made it for years.


If you look closely around the edges of the loaf, you can see the white smattering of flour. Her recipe calls for greasing and flouring the pans. Now she wrote out that recipe for me long before we had ever heard of non-stick sprays even ones with flour in them or non-stick pans which aren't supposed to need grease and flour at all. So there it is: grease and flour the pans. And so I do. 

Even after all these years, I do what she told me to do when I was barely out of my teens. Of course today I do use a non-stick spray but I still flour the pan as well. I do break tradition occasionally and add blueberries to the batter. Radical!

No comments:

Post a Comment