Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Being Elderly

Oh, my friends, I do not feel "elderly". Sure my shoulder hurt and I started with a personal trainer and it felt So Good to get back to the gym and begin to get stronger. But I don't feel elderly.

And then came COVID-19 and suddenly I am labeled. I'm definitely elderly. Elderly begins with 60 and at 77 I am way beyond that. Wisdom says, stay inside. Next to that is the advice to the young, take care of your elderly neighbors, shop for them, check in on them, care about them to keep them from feeling isolated. Sigh.

I'm supposed to be the one doing that. But I am not. Perhaps for the first time in my life I am having to step back, stay inside and let others do the caring. I'm not offering to take meals or shop for or drive anyone anywhere.

We have a dear younger friend who is insistent that we don't even go out to the PO or grocery store on Senior Shopping morning. She is willing to pick up groceries or do the shopping for us. Another friend was in touch today with the same offer. Bless them both. I am more tempted to take up their offer than Dean is. Because we have to go to the Post Office (no home delivery in Tahoe), we might as well go to the grocery next door at our designated shopping time. I may send him by himself. Which honestly is not all that strange. He goes to the store for us a lot.

So here is the question: am I just being lazy and spoiled or am I taking care of myself and others by staying in and letting others take care of me? I know the answer of course. It is just different to let it happen and allow myself to be elderly.

I hope you are all finding ways to stay connected and happy. And of course washing your hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment