Monday, March 16, 2020

Dressing for Home

Years ago I had a national job that had me traveling a lot except when I wasn't. My husband died and although I managed to do the travel, when I was having to be at home, it was hard. I didn't want to do anything. My daughter, who is a writer and has worked from home a lot of her professional life, said, "Mom, get dressed. Whatever else you do with your day, get dressed." I guess I have followed that advice all these years because the other day, before voluntary social distancing, I laughed at myself as I showered and dressed when the only thing on the agenda was laundry. "I even get dressed to do the laundry," I thought.

Now I am thinking about so many of you who are for the first time in your adult, professional life, finding yourself working from home. My advice is "get dressed". If your children are home from school, have them get dressed. The very act of changing from pjs to something else says it is time to start your day.

Oh if you are a suit and tie kind of guy, it's ok to wear an open collar sports shirt and slacks. If you are used to jewelry and heels, it's ok to be more relaxed and maybe even wear your bedroom slippers with your dress. Now that sneakers are the thing with office wear, you may already be set with the most comfortable shoes you can find. As in all things these days, be reasonable.

Just don't let yourself become a slob. If you enjoy your weekend days when you lounge around in sweats and a T, then by all means, stay with that schedule. But come Monday morning, get dressed. The shower, the clean clothes, the routine will make you feel better about yourself and the world in general. Have a good day. And remember to wash your hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment