Thursday, March 19, 2020

Senior Citizen Shopping

Our Safeway is open on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 6 to 9 am for senior only shopping. We went about 7:30 and there were a few people there. All of us had grey hair. I asked Rick if we needed to show our ID’s and he laughed and said we were fine. Shoppers were very congenial even though we chatted with each other from a distance. We were all in the same boat and knew it and were fine with it. Not only fine but very grateful for the opportunity. 

One negative was some of the empty spaces on the shelves. I think that came from two things - one, hoarding of course and two, they just hadn’t a chance to restock for this new routine. Today was the first day for this. My guess is by next Thursday, they will be stocked and ready for us. 

They are being serious about it. As we were checking out, our clerk called over my head, “Senior citizens only! Senior citizens only!” The young man said he had come to see Jennifer and they stopped him and called for her over the intercom. That pleased me. The clerks can no longer bag for us if we bring our own bags. That was no issue for us. Dean usually does it anyway when he is with me. I did learn that plastic can hold the virus so I am going to search out all my cloth totes, wash them well, and start using them again. 

So - it looks like we have a weekly outing - every Thursday morning to the grocery. That way we can keep fresh veggies which Dean really really likes. I thought I might walk a little after we got home but it had snowed a dusting last night and with 17* over night, it was too icy. I may get out later. At least I can stand on the deck and breathe fresh air. Exercise and movement will have to be done inside. Al, my personal trainer,  and I may have to start over in two to however many weeks, but at least I will be well and healthy to do so. 

Holding healthy thoughts for us all ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment