Thursday, December 24, 2020

The Journey of a Fruitcake

 I really like fruitcake. This year we haven't found any in the stores up here, Costco is in another state and we're under travel restrictions, and on line they are very large and expensive. So I sighed and let go my desire for fruitcake this year. And then Dean said, "Given all that's going on, I haven't gotten out to find you anything so I am going to make you a fruitcake for Christmas." Wow! And so for three days now, he has been involved in researching recipes, buying ingredients, and making fruitcake. Enjoy the journey. 

Chopping the fruit

Fruit soaking over night in apple juice, butter and spiced rum.

The following day, the fruit goes into the batter
and the batter goes into the pans.


Decorating the tops.

Ready for the oven.
Having cooled over night, it is now brushed with a mixture of 
molasses, vanilla, and rum to give it a bit of a tasty glaze.

So when can I eat it? Right now or three months from now ~ 
or both!
Well, of course we start with now - never mind that it is before breakfast.


My present so I get the first bite.


And it is declared a triumph! 

Two rich and rummy loaves will last the two of us a long time.
Thank you, Dean. It was the perfect pandemic gift!














                                              


No comments:

Post a Comment